Tuesday, October 6, 2009

something wicked this way comes...

I love October so much, I really, really do. So here's my usual round-up of affordably awesome stuff to do this month (again, apologies in advance: this is usually LA-based stuff. Also, please note that I try to keep everything on here less than $15 per person, but this month, there's a couple events over the budget, so don't get all huffy.)


Happy October, everyone!


Nick Horny* kicks ass.
This Tuesday, Oct. 6th (tonight!!) at 7:30 pm, he's hanging out at the Skirball and reading from his newest novel, Juliet, Naked. Hang around after the lecture to get your copy of the book signed, because he's just that cool.

Admission is free, but reservations are required. Get 'em here.


In the Egyptian theater, no one can hear you scream...
on Friday, Oct. 9th, the famous Hollywood theater is screening a double feature of Alien and Aliens. Just don't eat spaghetti for three weeks after you see the movies.

Check it out here - general admission is $10


Like art? Like walking?

What if someone COMBINED THE TWO, ooooh....

On Saturday Oct. 10th, from 11 am to 5 pm, Pasadena is holding their 4th annual ARTWalk, where you get to walk around all over pretty downtown Pasadena (in the Playhouse District, no less) and look at tons of art. The event highlights some of the best Southern Californian visual artists showcasing their work in painting, sculpture, watercolor, photography, mixed media, ceramics, jewelry, drawings and printmaking.

Best of all? Totally free...until you buy that vase for $400. Here's the details.

Not sick of Pasadena yet? Good, because there's chocolate to be had!

The very next day, on Sunday, Oct. 11th, someone who is a freakin' genius decided to create something called the Los Angeles Luxury Chocolate Salon.

Happening down at the Pasadena Center, chocolate fanatics like myself can taste & experience the finest in artisan, gourmet & premium chocolate from over 30 professional chocolatiers. Plus, as if chocolate wasn't enough, there's wine tasting too.

It's $20 for advance tickets for adults and $25 at the door; kids under 6 are free; and kids 6 -12 are $10. No, I'm not kidding. This event is really happening. Praise the gods.


Manners are always important

Oh how I love Book Soup. There's books, there's...no...soup, but occasionally if Johnny Depp is in town you can find him here. You can also find the coolest book readings, like nifty advice on zombie manners, being read out loud on Monday, Oct. 12th at the store. How thoughtful of you, Book Soup! Now I'll say please when I beg for brains.

admission is free.


Where The Wild Things Are comes out Friday, Oct. 16th!!!

Oh my god can't.stand.the.awesome.


A haunted scavenger hunt in LA?

Where you can make your own Blair-Witch style documentary that will premiere on the big screen at the Egyptian theatre, and then after the awards ceremony, you can stick around for a double screening of The Lost Boys and The Goonies?? Sweet!

it's true

general admission is $32, $30 for students and seniors


Halloween is my favorite :)

If you're looking to celebrate with kids: the Descanso Gardens in La CaƱada hosts the Pumpkin Roundup on both Oct. 24th and 25th. Along with costume parades, there's sing-alongs, face painting, pumpkin decorating, and pony rides (Oct. 24th only for pony rides).

General $8. Senior/Students $6. Children (5 to 12 years) $3.
Guild members and Children under 5 free.
Tram $4. Enchanted Railroad $3

If you're looking to celebrate with other adults: November 1st is Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) and LA likes to celebrate it in style - we kick off our celebration on Saturday Oct. 24th at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery -- and calaca apparel is HIGHLY encouraged. I went to this last year -- it's amazing.

admission is $10.


and if you're not trick or treating on Halloween night:

Spend it with the UCLA Film and Television Archive when it presents The Skull (1965), a Peter Cushing thriller about supernatural grave robbers. Then visit with Christopher Lee and the cave-dwelling tricentenarians of City of the Dead (1960). Both of these would probably freak me out...considering the movie Gremlins scares me. Yeah...

Admission is $10, and you can get tickets here



*UPDATE: it's actually Nick Hornby, as pointed out by my friend Wilder, but I think everyone agrees that Horny works just fine as well. Hey, if the shoe fits...

18 comments:

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

I would not go camping thanks to Blair-Witch Project! Have a great Season!! xo8

Celia said...

i know i have no business complaining, but so many cool things are happening this month and i'll be out of the country. luxury chocolate salon? where the wild things are?? argh!!

Anonymous said...

i agree - October is definitely up there on the small list of good months. Except, this October hasnt been up to much so far ... your post has however made me more aware of all the good things to come, so for that .... thanks :)

Kristin Quinn said...

That chocolate event may be calling my name....

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

October not in LA? So far I've worn three shirts everyday and the furnace kicks on everyday. I'd say that I'm California dreamin', but I like the seasons. And the nonwildfires.
Yes, all of our airborn toxins come from EPA approved coal burning electric providers.
Capitalism is killing us all. One mega corp at a time.

Kristy said...

I really really really really love ROCKtober! and so far it has been awesome! Just the smell in the air tickles me!

Wilder said...

Is it Nick Horny? I thought it was Hornby... I'm hoping this is a delicious Freudian slip, and not a failure to spell names on my part.

Wine and Words said...

Shoot. I want to move...next to you!

Phoenix said...

touche, Wilder... that's what you get for blogging without your contacts in and/or being horny. Freud would be having a field day right about now.

Deech said...

Lots of good stuff to do...Now you have me thinking about what I could be doing in my neck of the woods.

jenn said...

oh my - tons of stuff. too bad you don't make a list like this for milwaukee :)

Di said...

And if you like wearing fancy clothes and feel that malaria is bad (duh!) you can go to this:

http://team-la.eventbrite.com/

They're partying in 7 cities in 7 days in formalwear, hoping to raise $70,000 for Netting Nations, which provides malaria nets to people. Donate on the LA page and you get a ticket to the event. Don't forget the long dresses!

Di said...

OK, my friend corrected me and said "it's cocktail attire." Whatever. Still pretty dresses.

Eeeno's World said...

This is awesome--thanks! I'm suddenly drawn towards Pasadena. Art and chocolate!!!

drollgirl said...

dude! EXCELLENT TIPS! i am printing this out!

and how i LOVE book soup. i wish that was my shop. FOR REALS.

Marion said...

Ooooh, I love Nick Horney. I heard him on NPR plugging his book last week and I can't wait to read it. I'd go with you if I was near. (When you said LA, I thought, 'O ma god, like, she lives in Louisiana!' Tee-Hee.) As if! Our official postal abbreviation is LA for those ignorant of that fact.

You're really sweet to share all of these amazing things to do in October. The local tourist commission should pay you!! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Great list. I'm really looking forward to seeing Where the Wild Things Are. Spike Jonze is an outstanding filmmaker.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://atyjyneryt.lookseekpages.com/voxigu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Blog Widget by LinkWithin