Tuesday, April 13, 2010

steampunk wedding pictures!

Sometimes, when two people really love each other, they decide to throw a huge party and make their vows to stay with each other for a really long time public. And sometimes, when those two people who love each other and are throwing that party are my friends, it means they are sci-fi and literary geeks who decide to make their wedding steampunk themed.

What is steampunk, you ask? Good question. Steampunk originated in the 1980's as a literary term for science fiction that took place in Victorian times - think HG Wells with his time machine in Victorian-Era England. So it's lots of corsets and bustles and full skirts and top hats mixed with combat boots, clock and watch gears, test tubes, mini-telescopes, pocket watches, keys, etc. Steampunk is all in the accessories. If you want to American-ize steampunk you go with aviator hats, goggles, bomber jackets, things like that. Some movies that have good examples of steampunk are: the latest Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey, Jr; the movies Wild Wild West, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and even the third Back to the Future movie.

Here's your ideal steampunk girl:

(I sort of have a crush on this girl. How much do you want to be her? Oh, and I got the image here)


So with that in mind, I present to you just a few of the many, many pictures I took at my friends Eric and Stacy's steampunk wedding of AWESOME.

Me and my friend Alli. Yes, she has a metal clamp for a hand. It was rad.


My friend Jeremy was the officiant and official Sky Captain. He's holding what I think is a modified hair-dryer; I'm holding a can opener. Most people were betting on me with the can opener still whupping his ass.


The beautiful bride and I :)


Me with the groom, Eric. Here's our normal faces...


And here's our Muppet faces. We were both Muppets in a former life.


Trying not to laugh hysterically (or get hit in the face) as Benni and I open our favors, traditional Christmas crackers from Victorian England that usually have a small gift inside.


My friend Jeff and his beautiful girlfriend Somer.


Some of the gang...from left to right, the maid of honor Monica, me, my dashing roommate Peter, his insanely hot girlfriend Kelice, and Alli.


Yes, this IS the wedding cake. I'll let you take a moment to absorb that fact. Every part of it was edible - and it was so freakin' incredible that not one but TWO separate film crews were swarmed around it - one for the restaurant itself (so it can show off the wedding on its website) and another film crew for the reality show Amazing Wedding Cakes.


The bride and groom have their cake and eat it too.



Benni rocks the aviator look and you guys get a full view of my outfit.


From left to right: Kelice, Mandy, her wonderful husband (and my martial arts instructor) Isaac, and me.

The bride and her two bridesmaids!


And for those of you who are into making outfits like this: I got my dress from Clockwork Couture, a steampunk clothing website; my black widow necklace is from past fall's jewelry collection from Anthropologie (the body of the spider is a canister that opens up to reveal solid perfume inside), I wore arm length, fingerless gloves from an Etsy shop that I don't remember and strung a necklace with a key on it around my waist as a belt. The calf-length combat boots I got from Delia's a few years back, and I stuck a brown and black feather I had in my hair.

Oh, and the purple drop earrings I got from Etsy too. I'm so bad at remembering names... they were in a goodie bag from a blogger get-together that this awesome chica hosted a few months back. She would probably know better than I!

Thanks for indulging me...blogging will be light this week as I'm prepping for some extra business before tax-day but don't forget to tune in on Friday for another dose of poetry to celebrate National Poetry Month! Yay!

Happy Tuesday, y'all! :)

34 comments:

Kendra Logan said...

Lols! Wow, interesting idea! I love all the outfits.

~Kendra

Gwen said...

You look fabulous!!! I love all the outfits and how much fun are your friends!!! I would love to be in wedding like this. The upcoming one with matching shoes and dresses not so much. LOL!!! Totally kidding. I love my friend and would wear almost anything for her. :) XOXO

Anonymous said...

This is sooo cute!

Pretty Zesty said...

LOVE IT! Looks like so much fun!

Wine and Words said...

Well that looks like a day to remember. Wow. What fun. Makes my wedding look so benign...but that was 25 years ago.

Mrs Anne said...

How fun is that? I've never been to a theme wedding... and that cake! it's amazing! :)

love it!

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

best theme wedding EVER! Thanks for sharing :)

Marion said...

Fan-fucking-tastic photos, Phoenix! That cake just blew my mind, it was so awesome!! You (next to the bride, of course) were the cutest girl there. I hope Benny knows how lucky he is. Thanks for sharing. xoxo, Blessings!!

Robin said...

My favorite picture of you is the one of you and Benni opening the party favor. Awesome. I feel very out of it. I did not know what steampunk was until this blog. It's pretty cool. That cake was freaking amazing. I can understand why the cake people were there taking pictures. It didn't look ANYTHING like a cake. How cool was that???? So, did they go with traditional vows or was the ceremony unique, too?

drollgirl said...

this is wild! you and your friends seem like SUCH FUN AND CREATIVE PEOPLE!!! and that cake?!?! unbelievable!!!!

Jo said...

Love it!! You all look fabulous!
And, that cake is amazing!!

Taylor K said...

yum! i love Lawry's. Did you have the spinning salad bowl and creamed corn?! I hope so. The wedding looks like it was SUPER fun. Wicky wicky wild. Wicky Wild wicky wicky wild wild west. I hope you enjoyed my small rap.

Ashley said...

What a fun event! The cake truly was a work of art. I also enjoyed checking out everyone's garb. Too cool for school!

Heather Taylor said...

You guys are the coolest. I already knew about steampunk because my academic advisor is a published author who specializes in that genre, but your outfits plus the cake? I want to have a steampunk wedding!

Elisabeth said...

What a fun wedding Phoenix, the dresses, the costumes, the cake, the company and you look loveliest of all, alongside the bride that is. You're meant never to upstage the bride.

Barbara said...

That was the most fun I've had in ages! I love how everyone really got into the outfits! Loved yours...
And that cake! Amazing. Who made it?
And I still use those Christmas poppers every year...everyone expects it.

Lord, my wedding was a complete BORE when compared to this.

Bathwater said...

Very cool idea, you seem to have a very imaginative group of friends!

g. fox said...

Tell me you have read the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde...

Juliana said...

I love this!!!!!

Dionne said...

OMG OMG OMG - I wish I was invited to that wedding - it looks like a BLAST! Love your outfit. And I LOVE THAT CAKE!!!!

Dang!

krista said...

ridiculously awesome.

Okie said...

That looks like an absolutely fun wedding/party/everything. Thanks for sharing the fabulous pix from a cool time.

jenn said...

what a cool wedding! i love when people do things really unique and true to themselves!!

Angie Muresan said...

LOVE, LOVE the outfits and the originality of the wedding!

Irenicineri said...

That looks like it was so much fun!

Purple Cow said...

This post just makes me wanna get married all over again!

PorkStar said...

Nice pictures and interesting outfits.... looks like fun. It looks like downtown NYC actually. Difference is, ya'll are way nicer people.

Di said...

That's awesome. This is actually the second steampunk themed wedding I've had friends go to. Seems to be a new trend. LOVE IT!

Deech said...

So this is way cool! The Joker is impressed!

Shanna Suburbia said...

THAT CAKE IS AMAZING.

Darcy said...

oh my gosh, what a FUN wedding!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just how cute are you?!? What an original and fun idea for a wedding: you all look great - and as for that cake, well, I think it is one of the best cakes I've ever seen!!

Kristin Quinn said...

This is freakin' hilarious!! I've been to so many weddings that something like this is completely refreshing. What an amazing cake. Now that is what I call a work of art! Glad to see you guys have such a great time.

Anonymous said...

I dunno how I missed this post, but anyway .... what a brilliant idea!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin