Tuesday, January 6, 2009

sweetness follows

So the holidays have come and gone, and I'm usually left with this "okay, what next?" feeling every time they do. I mean, the build up of Christmas and the New Year is months (thanks, capitalistic society!) in advance, and then BAM!, the holidays hit, the time goes by way too fast, and suddenly we look up and it's the middle of January and we're still playing catch-up and trying to pick up all the pieces.

Weird.

But this year has a slightly different vibe to it. Maybe it's because I'm aware of how hard 2008 was for so many people (myself included, though certainly not to the same extent as a lot of people, for which I count myself very blessed and remain utterly grateful), but I am so very, very excited that 2009 is here and I get yet another year to kick some ass and take some names, and I see new opportunities on the horizon for both myself and the people I care about.

Being a planner, and an A-Type at that, change is sometimes difficult for me. I mean, it's one thing if it's change that is carefully controlled and planned for, like a trip somewhere or a big event. But the little things? The little changes, like someone I love moving away, or a relationship or friendship evolving? It's not always easy for me to put on my Roll With It hat and suck it up with a big smile on my face.

So as I look back at 2008, with all of its changes, and I look forward to 2009, with all of its promise, I'm going to try to keep in mind that with change comes adventure, opportunity, and that general carefully controlled chaos we call life. Life is what happens while we're making other plans, and I don't want to miss a minute of it looking backwards at what I thought I wanted, and missing getting exactly what I need. Instead, I'm going to try to appreciate what life throws at me, and keep an open and grateful heart for all the good that already exists in my life. I think 2009 is going to be a fantastic year. :)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin