Thursday, February 25, 2010

"I've got friends/in all the right places..."

My blog title, while being an oft-used phrase, is also a lyric from one of two songs that I'm totally obsessed with, appropriately titled I've Got Friends, by Manchester Orchestra. You can find it here, just so it can get stuck in your head too. Yeah, you're welcome. The other song I'm obsessed with is what I would describe as the perfect spring/summer pick-me-up-but-in-a-chill-kind-of-way song. It's not getting a ton of radio play, which I like because while video killed the radio star, radio has a way of killing almost every song I like by playing it 40.times.a.freakin.day.

Not cool, radio.

So here's the second song, Sweet Disposition, by The Temper Trap, off the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack. Please, do yourself a favor if you're able to - turn it up loud. And get ready to be obsessed. Or to leave me a comment and tell me I have crappy taste in music. Whichever.

Anyways, the blog post title came from how damn nifty all of you are. I wanted to say thanks for all your lovely comments over the past few weeks as life keeps punching me in the back of the head (not cool, life) but knowing that you guys are out there and being supportive and awesome and that some of you are going through similar shite helps a lot. You really have no idea how much you guys make my day.

This is a bit belated but I've got some specific gratitude to offer up to some bloggers that have shown me some extra love over the past few weeks - first a quick thank you!! to Anne and Carissa, both of whom sent me very cool items of lust from giveaways that I had won from them. Anne painted a cute little canvas square with flowers and a shooting star and decorated it with glitter, and then included a box of Sweethearts candy for me to get addicted to, (my favorite, Anne!) and Carissa sent me a bucketload of awesome stuff from Etsy, including a desktop calendar from this amazing photographer. Seriously, staring at these photos all day makes my happiness scale almost explode. Carissa, thank you again.

I also got awards from two bloggers that I am in awe of: Darcy and Jonas. Darcy writes with a striking honesty and humor that simply blows me away and makes me rethink why the hell I blog in the first place. Her candor and her willingness to look life straight in the eye just completely inspires me, so when she gave me the Best Blogger award, all I could do was humbly sneak off into a corner and try to convince myself that maybe I actually deserved it. A couple weeks later, I'm still not convinced, but here it is in all its glory:

And the second part of the award asks that I name 15(!) new blogs that I enjoy. Which I'll leave for another day because this is getting long-winded already.

Jonas is also an incredible writer - if you haven't checked him out yet...how do I say this? He writes a very fine line between fact and fiction and lets his readers choose to parse out what is truth and what is not... I have a feeling that Jonas might be a bit of a trickster/scoundrel in real life and I gotta tell you, I don't think I mind that one bit.

So thanks, everyone :) I feel very loved on the blogosphere.

And to spread that love...I know it's not much, but I updated my blog roll so that it's pretty much up to speed with what blogs I'm following and loving right now. As I am starting to get more followers (hi guys! I'm so excited to meet you all and read your blogs!) I want more than anything for visitors and new followers to get a sense of my fabulous taste in other people's blogs and go check them out. I love reading your guys' posts and I've been slacking on promoting y'all properly until now. So sorry about that, but better late than never, right?

Have a wonderful rest of your week, everyone!

PS I also want to thank my bestie Radical Bradacal and one of my newest favorite bloggers, B. Nagel, for playing along and posting images of what makes them happy. Thanks guys! I loved them :)

25 comments:

Gwen said...

Congrats on the awards!!! They are well deserved my beautiful friend. :) XOXO

Lira Kellerman said...

It's not just me who gets super excited when we see that you have a new post. It is ALL of us! ALL OF US!
And to help you feel better when life is striking you down (remember a strike in bowling is GOOD) seriously, try to blog every day. It has boosted my spirits tremendously. I think it will yours as well.
So much love your way!!!

Deech said...

And you should feel loved! You are a great blogger! Congrats on the Awards....

Dionne said...

Look at you, ya lucky punk! You need to hit Vegas with the winning streak you're on!

Jenn said...

LOVE the songs & thanks for the shoutout! That song from 500 days of summer isn't on the radio here yet, but it takes like 2039842 years for songs to go from the coasts to the good old wisconsin farmland. :)

Windthicket Fables said...

I LOVE the 500 days of summer soundtrack! LOVELY!!! Though, it got me obsessed with Nancy Sinatra's Sugar Town song. LOL.

Robin said...

I feel so proud to have made your list of blogs that you read. I'm at the very bottom. I've decided that is the special place ~ kind of like on a TV show. That last actor is AND____ (REALLY BIG STAR). So I feel really flattered instead of saying, "Dang, I'm at the bottom of the list. That's like being picked last in gym." It's all in the way you look at it:-) ~~~At the same time, you have managed to address an issue I sent you in an email which you didn't receive or didn't respond to because you didn't know it was from me. Either way... how in the world do you put the blogs that you follow on your main page???? ~~~~ And before I leave this comment, your writing is awesome, which is why you get so many great comments! You are a thoughtful commenter. And you should get that Blog Award. YOU DESERVE IT.

Robin said...

Got your email. Replied. Feel really stupid. Gnawing on foot.

Wine and Words said...

I did love that song. I am newly obsessed. I Shazam'd it for later download :) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

"I have a feeling that Jonas might be a bit of a trickster/scoundrel in real life"

I'm speechless ....

.... i mean .....

hmmm.

:)

drollgirl said...

oh, i hope life gets easier for you soon. it must! it will go and punch somebody else in the back of the head soon, as you have had your turn. hang in there, girl. hang in there.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Hey, at least it isn't snowing where you are ;)
Like Droll said, hang in there!

Marion said...

Phoenix, if we can make it three more days, this freaking month will be over. Great post and thanks for putting that song on replay in my warped brain. Ha! Blessings!

Maggie May said...

now i have the 'i've got friends..' song stuck in my head!!!!
xo

Kristin Quinn said...

Tracy, you're awesome. The end.

Barbara said...

Great awards and you deserve them!

Love reading your posts and nice uTube watching/listening links today.

I love music, all kinds. My kids give me credit for their love of music which in one thing all three share.
And OK. I admit it in writing. You and I are nowhere near the same age. I am waaaaaay older. Do you want to know how old? Here is one of my favorites about friends (have fun):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_284Y8Wu7c

Juliana said...

I LOVE those songs and you deserve those awards. You are an incredible person, with an amazing soul

Castor said...

Great songs! The (500) Days of Summer soundtrack is definitely up there as one of the best of 2009.

;)

Dave said...

70 and sunny?....I might have considered hunting you down if not for the fact that its too damn cold to leave the house. :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Congrats on your awards lady! And I totes need to pick up that soundtrack.

Okie said...

Congrats on the awards.

And thanks for sharing the cool tunes. They made for some fun listening. :)

Clarity said...

Congrats on the award, you deserve it.

Love and Peace, X.

Darcy said...

o golly gee willacker lol, thanks for the compliments! and you are a great blogger! but seriously, if you dont do the 15 (thats so much!), don't think i'll be offended. After that exercise, i've realized blog awards perhaps arent best served with homework ;-)

victoria.renee said...

i LOVE manchester! and your blog. congrats :)

Robin said...

When you have time, it would be lovely if you could stop by my blog. Today you were nominated for the Creative Writer Blogger Award. Congratulations!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin