Friday, April 16, 2010

"Miles to go before I sleep"... Poetry Friday, Volume Two!

Praying

by Mary Oliver


It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.

*******************************************************

Advice for a Stegosaurus

by Jessica Goodheart


Never mind the asteroid,
the hot throat of the volcano,
a sun that daily drops into a void.

Comb the drying riverbed for drink.
Strut your bird-hipped body.
Practice a lizard grin. Don't think.

Stretch out your tail. Walk, as you must,
in a slow deliberate gait.
Don't look back, Dinosaur. Dust is dust.

You'll leave your bones, your fossil feet
and armored eye-lids.
Put your chin to the wind. Eat what you eat.

*******************************************************

When Your Face Came Rising

by Yevgeny Vevtushenko


When your face came rising
above my crumpled life,
the only thing I understood at first
was how meager were all possessions.
But your face cast a peculiar glow
on forests, seas, and rivers,
initiating into the colors of the world
uninitiated me.
I'm so afraid, I'm so afraid,
the unexpected dawn might end,
ending the discoveries, tears, and raptures,
but I refuse to fight this fear.
This fear - I understand -
is love itself. I cherish this fear, not knowing how to cherish,
I, careless guardian of my love.
This fear has ringed me tightly.
These moments are so brief, I know,
and for me, the colors will disappear
when once your face has set...

************************************************

Earth

by John Hall Wheelock


"A planet doesn't explode of itself," said drily
The Martian Astronomer, gazing off into the air -
"That they were able to do it is proof that highly
Intelligent beings must have been living there."

*********************************************************

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep.
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

*************************************************

Curiosity

may have killed the cat; more likely
the cat was just unlucky, or else curious
to see what death was like, having no cause
to go on licking paws, or fathering
litter on litter of kittens, predictably.

Nevertheless, to be curious
is dangerous enough. To distrust
what is always said, what seems
to ask odd questions, interfere in dreams,
leave home, smell rats, have hunches
do not endear cats to those doggy circles
where well-smelt baskets, suitable wives, good lunches
are the order of things, and where prevails
much wagging of incurious heads and tails.

Face it. Curiosity
will not cause us to die--
only lack of it will.
Never to want to see
the other side of the hill
or that improbable country
where living is an idyll
(although a probable hell)
would kill us all.

Only the curious have, if they live, a tale
worth telling at all.

Dogs say cats love too much, are irresponsible,
are changeable, marry too many wives,
desert their children, chill all dinner tables
with tales of their nine lives.
Well, they are lucky. Let them be
nine-lived and contradictory,
curious enough to change, prepared to pay
the cat price, which is to die
and die again and again,
each time with no less pain.
A cat minority of one
is all that can be counted on
to tell the truth. And what cats have to tell
on each return from hell
is this: that dying is what the living do,
that dying is what the loving do,
and that dead dogs are those who do not know
that dying is what, to live, each has to do.


As for my two blogger poets that I'm highlighting, I count myself as disgustingly lucky because I actually knew them in person long before any of us started our crazy blogs. I went to college with the incredible JMarls over at Snapshots, and let me tell you: all the rumors of her being the hot, quiet girl who blew everyone away with her acting talent are absolutely true. And to make things worse...ugh. She's an amazing creative writer and fantastic poet. (She actually labels her poetry under "Bad Poetry." Gross, I know, right?) So please...go check out her blog for yourself and prepare to be blown away.

The other gorgeous girl that I'm introducing to you has a wicked wit, a freakin' awesome tattoo, and a vocabulary that could make you cry. Introducing Mildly Sensational over at Sunlight in my Threshold, who doesn't blog nearly enough for my liking but when she does...wow. Just...wow. Her cute little throwaway poems, like this one or this one, are fantastic...and her creative short stories? Also kick ass. So not fair.

So that's all folks...enjoy the poetry, I hope each poem livens your spirits and your Friday just a bit, and please, go give some of these blogger poets who pour out their hearts a little love and some kind comments. They deserve it :)

Have a fantastic weekend!

25 comments:

Marion said...

Phoenix, this is awesome! I'm loving your poetry Fridays and look forward to them now. Thanks for introducing me to some new poets. I really loved Jmarls poem. It's amazing and so not bad!!

Have a beautiful weekend, my friend. Love & Blessings!!

CVilleFieldNotes said...

I heart you for highlighting lil ol me.

Mrs Anne said...

What a fun idea! Love this!
Happy Weekend!

Anonymous said...

Robert Frost is MAGIC!

jenn said...

Robert Frost is pure perfection every single time. I love this poem!

Wine and Words said...

"a silence in which
another voice may speak."

Man, I talk too much!

Kristin Quinn said...

Thank you for the poetic inspiration to begin my next "catching up" hour in the blog world. I have to agree. JMarls is so very talented in everything she does.

MildlySensational said...

Thanks for highlighting me, and the spur to get something posted! lol I'm working on another post I swear! :p

Jmarls is pretty awesome, isn't she?

Lori ann said...

Mary Oliver, every poem of her's is my favorite.
thanks for this poetry fest Tracy.
Have a lovely weekend,
lori

Elisabeth said...

Thanks for the poems, Phoenix. I took your as ever wise advice and met your fellow bloggers. Such a treat. Thanks for pointing us in their direction.

Robin said...

These were all really great. I particularly liked WHEN YOUR FACE CAME RISING. Of course, I'd read the Robert Frost poem before. I liked the CURIOUS poem a lot, too. Like I said, all good choices. I will have to make a point of checking out your friends' pages. I woke up with a whimper today, so I think I will save it for later, though. I like to be on top of my game for this sort of thing.

Barbara said...

I'll go check out everyone when I'm through commenting....

Everytime I see the Robert Frost quote: "miles to go before I sleep" I think of an old movie called Telefon with Charles Bronson and Lee Remick. Unfortunately, it's hard wired into my brain.

Kristy said...

good call with Frost and Oliver!

Angie Muresan said...

I often feel that I have miles to go before I sleep, as well. These poetry Fridays are very nice, Phoenix.

Robin said...

Just wanted to let you know I left something for you on today's blog. What is today's blog? TAKING A DETOUR FROM ROME. I think that is what I called it. My mind is going, but I am pretty sure that is the name... I hope you like. Take care of you!

Pretty Zesty said...

These are so fantastic! I love the one about Earth!

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

The Earth is so profound~ so true!
xo

Maggie May said...

Thank you for links! I love a good writers link.

drollgirl said...

full disclosure: i am not that smart. i struggle with poetry...A LOT. i usually don't get it and i get frustrated. i know...that is shameful. i need to try harder!

Gwen said...

I love that you are posting poems!!! Praying by Mary Oliver is so true. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Once again, you've made some excellent choices here. Thank you for sharing these.

Shanna Suburbia said...

I tried to look for your name on FB but I don't think it turned you up. I think you can actually use my blogger email - shanna.suburbia@gmail.com. if that doesn't work, look for shannachoung@gmail.com. looking forward to fb-meeting you!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Love your selection of poems. They reveal a bit about you and your sensitivities. What did Robert Frost write?

Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done.

Have a beautiful mid week, Roland.
Come by my blog if you're of a mine. WRITING IN THE CROSSHAIRS

SharoninWonderland said...

Robert Frost is sooo amazing!! Thanks for posting these and have a great weekend!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I adore Mary Oliver! Thanks for stopping by my blog--I'm always thrilled to meet other Buffy fans. Your blog is so much fun. I can't believe that steampunk wedding. I don't know if I could have cut that cake--it was too crazy beautiful. Have a great weekend.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin