Tuesday, June 22, 2010

shameless self promotion

So here's the post where I plug myself for a bit. I'm so sorry, I try not to do it that often, but every once in a while I have to self-promote myself or my blog. Have no worries, I'll shower later to wash off that dirty "I just bragged about myself" feeling. If I'm feeling ambitious, I might even use shampoo AND conditioner.

First and foremost, I am thrilled and more than a little bewildered to report that I have been nominated for The Best Blog about Stuff (really? I blog about stuff? When did I do that?) for the 2010 Blogger's Choice Awards. I was nominated by this lovely girl and so far I have three votes, which is two more than I ever expected to have, considering one of the votes is from myself and my mother was not one of the two other voters.

So if you want to vote for me, please, by all means, go sign in here and vote for me here, but honestly, I'm sort of the Ralph Nader vote because you voting for me means that you know I have no chance in hell of winning but you think I'm just too darn feisty not to vote for.

Want to know who I voted for? In addition to paying The Struggling Actress back some love, I voted for Hyperbole and a Half as The Best Blog of All Time, because it's probably the funniest blog I have come across in the past year and when I read this post I literally laughed so hard I cried. LITERALLY. I'm totally in love with this blogger, don't tell her, k?

Anyways, moving past shock and odd to grateful, I have some awards to pass out, lest you think I'd forgotten.

Both the lovely Heather over at The Dream Machine and the awesome Robin from Your Daily Dose bequeathed to me The Sunshine Award, which is supposed to be given out to people who you feel leave a ray of sunshine on your blog when they comment, which I take to mean that I leave some pretty damn chipper comments on some of your guys' blogs. It looks like this:

(ooooh, pretty...)

I like to think I got this award because I want people to have kind and positive experiences while blogging and a lot our experiences are dictated by the kind of comments we receive. I wouldn't wish on anyone what has happened to some of my friends, which is that they have received rude, snarky, judgmental comments simply because in the blogosphere, people can hide behind their screen names and therefore display piss-poor manners and be internet bullies. I find that kind of stuff just pathetic. So I try to leave bright, positive comments that make bloggers feel loved and worthy, because they are my friends.

I have to pass this award on to some other bloggers that brighten my day too, so here we go:

Alyssa at A Polar Bear's Love Song, because she's my best friend and because she writes blogs with titles like "The Great and Mysterious Lesbian Code."

G.Fox over at And I am Marie of Roumania, because everything she writes I end up nodding my head and thinking, yes, exactly, and I love her spirit and the fact that she has a bigger vocabulary than I do.

Maggi at Maggi's Misadventures, because she always makes me smile and cracks me up with her gentle sarcasm and awesome geeky sense of humor.

Kate, from The Cow Jumped Over the Moon, because I've got a soft spot for people that I can relate to and she's a Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics fan. And yes, she is a silly-pants. ;)

And finally, not that they aren't rays of sunlight on their own, but I'm passing along this award because they both just became fathers for the first time: Jonas at Beyond Wunderman and B.Nagel at the self-titled blog B.Nagel. Congrats, gentlemen. Now go out there and be the coolest fathers ever.

Also, the wonderful Tricia from Talespinning gave me the Versatile Blog Award, and it looks like this:

And since versatile means "changing or fluctuating readily" (I really love that idea, thank you Tricia!) I will pass it along to Krista at My Life as I See It, Robin at Your Daily Dose, and Maggie May at Flux Capacitor - because I have grown and changed along with them and every day they impress me just a little bit more.

Finally: one last self plug, my website. It's now completely updated and online, so if you've ever wondered if I can actually act, or what I look like with Really Good Lighting and Makeup, or how the hell to find the Twitter account that I update once a month, then you're in luck. My website has my professional head shots, my acting reel, and a link to my Twitter account.

Knock yourselves out. I'm officially done talking about myself (exhausting, isn't it?) ;)

29 comments:

Marion said...

Well, you deserve to win, IMO. Besides being the best blog around, you're also the most beautiful & kind blogger! :-) Good luck and you got my vote. (My only complaint about the awards is they didn't have an award for the best POETRY blog!) xoxo Blessings!

Robin said...

You deserved the Sunshine Award. Hands down, no doubt. And thanks so much for my award. Versatile is definitely ONE WAY of looking at my blog;-) Thank you so much for thinking of me. You are so awesome. I am glad you are liking my crushes. I am thinking this is going to last a week at this rate. Whe knew I had so many? Not me until I started actually thinking about it. Unfortunatly most of my books are in storage. Or fortunately... depends on your opinion. This could go on forever....

Ed Pilolla said...

so your idea of shameless self promotion is to spend the bulk of your energy plugging other people's blogs, huh? that's building community instinctively. that's a sign of a natural giver. congrats on your nomination.

Jaeveberry said...

So much good stuff! You def deserve the Sunshine Award, your posts are always so great to come back to when I find time to look at blogs. You have the most thoughtful things on here. Thanks for alerting me on the hilarity of Hyperbole and a Half! So funny!

Also, thanks for checking in on me. I'm well, just needed a break. Lots to figure out :/ But I've got a great circle of support so I'm staying afloat!

xoxo

Lira said...

I nominated you also for "Best Blog of All Time!" Cause I think it's true.

And aren't you just getting tons and tons of awards!? Love it!

krista said...

i'm versatile! (i'm totally putting that on my now non-existent resume.) you are the best, you know that?

Juliana said...

You deserve all of these and more. I am SO going to vote for you!!

Joker_SATX said...

Kudos! This is a win with two thumbs WAY up!

Clarity said...

Glad you got a chance to do some "not so shameless self promotion", hopping over to see what it is about. You, go girl ;)

LOL, know I've been away, BFF, forgive me?

P.S. If you get combo shampoo/conditioner it takes half the time.

maggisaar said...

Awwww. YAY! Thanks for the award and the love, dearest. What a pleasant surprise this morning! I'll write about it in due time, but today's post (It'll come later) isn't the type of post for awards and silliness.

I'm glad you're getting to know each other and are friends. Gotta love Dionne for her amazing way of bringing people together.

I wish I had some random, silly thing I could leave you with, but my mind is drawing a blank! Hum...think Maggi...think...OH! My Aunt Stick is trying to gross me out by telling me that umbilical cords and my recent obsession Sting Cheese are the same size. I'm not going to let her take my string cheese love from me! Damnit!

Now I'm afraid I've grossed you out...

Okie said...

Congrats on you nomination and other awards. I'll gladly vote for you (once the bloggers choice site fixes their RoR bug that's taken the site down).

Way to go!!!

jonas wunderman said...

:)

Bathwater said...

I actually came in the top five one year for best daddy blogger.

I think the categories don't really leave many options for blogs about nothing.

Nice website, you look great.

drollgirl said...

woo hoo!!! things are going your way!!! congratulations on the nomination, on your award, and getting the website in super shape! you are a house on fire in the best way possible!

Kate said...

You're right, I have to agree, I am indeed a silly pants! You have to admit that you wouldn't want me any other way - I hope!

Thank you so much for the award, you more than deserve yours. I'm going to go vote for you and then I'm away to look at your website!

Wine and Words said...

Best of luck, shameless. You crack me up. I do hope you win.

Gwen said...

I'm totally voting for you my friend!!! Congrats on the nomination and the awards. You definitely deserve them all!!!

XOXO

P.S. The Gel Axxium really does stay on through anything!!!

Barbara said...

Loved your website. Looked through everything. Talent and looks all wrapped up in a great sense of humor!

You deserve the Sunshine award AND the nomination! Good for you!

Big congratulatory hug!

Des said...

Congratulations and your reel is excellent.

Maggie May said...

i love having good blog links to check out, and i will vote for you!

Dionne said...

This is a blog lovapalooza. We need to sit around a campfire and toast marshmallows. I love it!

Iva said...

Congratulations on this fabulousness!!

Robin said...

Well, it nearly broke my heart to leave Duncan MacCloud off my list. I had youtube footage ready to go and everything. The only way I could have done it was to lump the Grey's men. And that felt wrong. Where I really went wrong was not listing ten men every day. Had I done that, I wouldn't have run out of room! I also lost Sully from Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman... yesterday was rough! Now, put on your thinking cap and pull out those patterns!

Robin said...

I will give you a hint... what are all the young ones doing on there... I'm not a pervert ya know.

Robin said...

I hope you are getting these comments... You can still use Duncan MacCloud because I didn't get to use him. And I know that you liked Captain Jack. I went with James Barrie. I almost went with Edward Scissorhands. So many choices there. I think you can figure this out... It is the character and not the actor after all.

Purple Cow said...

You don't need to BRAG - it's so obvious. Visited your website! WOW - You are a beautiful person inside and out and not just a versatile blogger but also a versatile actress.

PS I think you are pretty humble considering...

Carissa said...

congrats on the awards! you are fabulous and you deserve them! your comments are totally little rays of sunshine. they always make me smile and more often than not, they make me laugh!

and congrats on being nominated as the best blog about stuff! I would totally concur! :) seriously, that is so exciting!! I will go vote for you!

and finally, I love the website! (I hope you aren't getting tired of all my !!!!) your head shots are gorgeous of course and it was so fun seeing that "i love you commercial" because I had seen it before but didn't know that was you! (kind of like when I saw that petsmart ad...)

anyway, congrats all around. and you can talk about yourself anytime. what are blogs for, right?

Eric W. Trant said...

Better late than never on the comments. Last week was, well, last week.

Congrats on all the awards. I'm gonna go vote for you (if it's still open and if I can figure out the thingamajiggie for the whatchamabob on the website).

Watched your reels -- how fun! "Check please!"

- Eric

Char said...

hey! thanks for dropping by today. :) a fellow buffy lover/twilight loather! woot. gotta love that.

congrats on the award and i have to visit more often. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin